Text Size

Current Size: 100%

How the complaint can be made

When I have received a good service from the Police or I am dissatisfied, who can I raise this with and how do I do it?

The Police are committed to protecting people from harm and we do this be being fair, honest, accountable and transparent.  The Police will always aim to provide a high quality service and a quick and effective solution to anti-social behaviour or crime issues you are experiencing. There may be times when this doesn't happen or you wish to comment on the service you have received (including when you want to give positive feedback as to the action taken). You can do this in a number of ways.

You can raise issues with your Neighbourhood Policing Team:

  • In person at a community meeting
  • By speaking to an officer when they are out on the beat
  • By emailing PSDMain@northants.police.uk
  • By visiting a police station front office

The police will attempt to reach an agreement with you as to how they will resolve your concern or deal with your complaint and keep you informed of progress.

Who else could I speak to?

If you do not wish to speak to your Neighbourhood Policing Team or remain dissatisfied with the response you have received, you can contact Police Headquarters by sending a letter to:

Professional Standards Department, Northamptonshire Police, Wooton Hall, NorthamptonNN4 0JQ.

If you are blind or visually impaired you can telephone the Force Control Room on 101 and someone will help you with any feedback or dissatisfaction you wish to share.

No matter which route you choose someone should get back to you within 14 days and advise you what will happen next.

You can also:

  • Visit a Citizens Advice Bureau, Race Equality Council, Probation Service or Youth Offending Team, who can advise on whether there are grounds for a complaint.
  • Contact a solicitor or Member of Parliament.
  • Get someone else to put forward the complaint on your behalf (e.g. a friend or neighbour, as long as they have a letter from the complainant authorising them to do so).
  • Send an email or a letter to any Police Force department
  • Complete an online complaint form
  • Report the feedback to the Force Communication Centre by calling 101
  • Write directly to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)
  • Contact the IPCC at 90 High Holborn, London WC1V 6BH. Tel: 08453 002 002 (local rate) or email enquiries@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk
  • You can also contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), for more information please click here.
  • If you require information on how to make a complaint in easy read format, or an alternative language please click here.


Back to Top