Distraction burglary in Pendered Road, Wellingborough
March 16, 2017
POLICE are appealing for information following a distraction burglary in Pendered Road, Wellingborough, yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, 15 March).
Two men called at a house at about 1pm and offered to carry out a repair to the roof. The men took payment for the work, which they had not carried out, and while in the house, took further cash from the victim’s purse.
One of the men is described as white, about 5ft 3in, with a slim build, blond curly blond hair and was dressed in grey clothing. The second man was also white, slightly taller, with a stocky build and in his late 20s to early 30s. He was wearing jeans and a navy top.
The men were using a white van.
Witnesses, or anyone with information about the stolen property, are asked to contact Northamptonshire Police on 101. Alternatively, they can call independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Officers are reminding people to be aware of potential distraction burglars and rogue traders and not to open the door to anyone they don’t know or are not expecting.
- Make sure you can see who is at the door before you answer it – if you don’t know them or aren’t expecting them, don’t open the door.
- Where possible fit a spy-hole to identify callers. Alternatively talk to them through an adjacent window.
- Don’t feel pressured into opening the door. Don’t feel you are being rude, genuine callers won’t mind.
- Set up passwords with your utility companies – genuine callers will need to recite this password to you
- Don’t use telephone numbers on ID cards. If the person isn’t genuine, the ID and the telephone number won't be either. Make a list of your important numbers and keep them near the phone.
- Look out for those who are vulnerable within your family or neighbourhood.
- In Northamptonshire many agencies have come together to form the Doorstep crime Action Network (DAN). If you have any suspicions or concerns that doorstep rogue traders or distraction burglars are operating in your community or targeting someone you know, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated doorstep crime hotline: 0345 23 07 702
- For help finding a reliable local trader, check out the Trading Standards service 'Buy with Confidence' scheme.
For more information about how to prevent doorstep crime can be found on the crime prevention pages at www.northants.police.uk.