Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare's Law)

Hide VisitClear Visit

You can now make inquiries about a partner if you are worried they may have been abusive in the past.

If police checks show that a partner has a record of violent behaviour, or there is other information to indicate that somebody may be at risk from a partner, the police will consider sharing this information.

This scheme, known as Clare's Law, aims to help people make a more informed decision on whether to continue a relationship, and provides further help and support to assist with making that choice.

Who can ask for a disclosure?

A disclosure under this scheme is the sharing of specific information about a partner with either the person they are in a relationship with or a third person for the purposes of protecting them from domestic violence.

This means any concerned third party, such as a parent, neighbour or friend, can also make an application.

To make an application, call 101.

If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, you should always call 999.

Download the leaflet below



Back to Top