Text Size

Current Size: 100%

Registered Firearms Dealers

Notes for Guidance for Registered Firearms Dealers

For more information or an application form for Firearm Dealers please email:


Why do I need to register as a Firearms Dealer?

If your business is connected with the buying, selling, manufacturing, testing or repairing of firearms, shotguns or ammunition you are required to register as a Firearms Dealer. This allows you to be in possession of firearms, shotguns or ammunition as part of your business without the need to comply with the requirements of a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate in relation to notifications of acquisitions or, in the case of firearms, the need to obtain specific authorisation before you acquire them.

What do I need to be a Registered Firearms Dealer?

You need to satisfy the Chief Officer of Police for the Area where you wish to carry on your business that you are not prohibited from being registered and can carry on the business of a Firearms Dealer without being a danger to the public safety or peace, also that registration is a requirement for your intended business or an essential part of another trade, business or profession.The premises you intend to use to carry on your business must be suitable for the purpose and will be inspected by a Police Crime Prevention Officer to ensure that the security arrangements are adequate. It is also advisable to inform your local council, as there may be restrictions on the type of use for your premises.The requirement for registration is not restricted to you buying or selling guns or ammunition. If your business is the repair, refurbishment or even engraving of guns you may be required to register as a Firearms Dealer.All premises you intend using in connection with the business of a Firearms Dealer must be registered. The registration lasts for 3 years.

What does being registered as a Firearms Dealer allow me to do?

Basically it allows you to be in possession of firearms, shotguns and ammunition without the need to hold a Firearms or Shotgun Certificate provided they are held by you as part of your business. However you will still need to keep a register listing all your transactions concerning them. The Registration Certificate does not authorise you to have them in your possession for personal use. If you intend to use a firearm or shotgun for your own use you will need to obtain either a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate and comply with its conditions.

Does my registration allow me to hold prohibited weapons?

No.If you wish to possess, purchase, acquire, manufacture, sell or transfer Section 5 prohibited weapons or ammunition you will need written authority from the Secretary of State.

What records do I need to keep?

You are required to keep a register showing all transactions, which must be entered into the register within 24 hours of the transaction taking place. In the case of a sale or transfer, the details of the purchaser or transferee, if not known to you then they are required to furnish you with particulars sufficient for identification which must be entered immediately into the register. When transferring firearms and shotguns to certificate holders you must comply with the conditions contained in the certificate produced and must inform the Chief Officer of Police who issued the certificate within 7 days of the transaction.Air weapons, which are not deemed especially dangerous by the Secretary Of State. and ammunition for them, together with blank shotgun cartridges of less than 1 inch in diameter and cartridges containing 5 or more shot none of which exceeds .36 ins in diameter, are not required to be entered in the register.Records must be kept for five years and produced for inspection when required by an authorised officer.The register can be kept on a computer provided the information required to be kept can be readily produced and in a form that is visible and legible and can be taken away. Again this information must be kept for five years from the date of transaction.

Do I need to register if I attend a Game Fair or Agricultural Show in another area?

Yes. If the fair or show is outside the Police Area where your business is registered you have to register with the Police for that area. The fee for this registration is £12.


Back to Top